The Challenge

This is the journey of a 49 year old fat, really unfit woman who is determined to do her best in the tennis at the Gay Games in Cologne in August 2010.

Can she do it? Follow this blog to find out!





Thursday, February 18, 2010

Setting the Standard

I had a really great leson with Victor - felt really good about hitting the ball cleanly and accurately. So I went to the social comp at Melbourne Park - a little pprehensive but thought I would acquit myself ok.

And yes, Victor was right, I got the yips and either hit things WAY out of court or smack into the net. And this is why I am playing social comp - I need the competition practice so that I can get my nerves under control. I was really happy with my serve - that stayed pretty solid and often that's the first thing to go when I'm nervous. I lost the singles set 6-1 but most of the games went to deuce which means that the loss was caused by nerves rather than technical skill. I still need to get a lot fitter though.

The first serious competition is in two weeks - the Seniors comp at Glen Iris. I am more than likely to get well and truly thumped on this one but again, I want the competition practice. My battle will be to h old my serve steady and to get at least 2-3 games from each set. If I can do that, I think I will regard myself as having achieved my goals.

Alicia is back tomorrow - much sweating and many rude words are likely to emerge from the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment