The Challenge

This is the journey of a 49 year old fat, really unfit woman who is determined to do her best in the tennis at the Gay Games in Cologne in August 2010.

Can she do it? Follow this blog to find out!





Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tennis Player Ego

Last night I went to the grading for the Tennis World social competition. I was reasonably happy with the way I played - especially my serve which was pretty solid. Got a couple of aces and didn't double fault once.

I played two sets of doubles with different people. The second set was three blokes and me and they were a lot better at running and hitting the ball very hard. Very chivalrous too - not too much whacking the ball at the sole female!

And I was quite pleased when I was told that the grading assessment was that I should be in B Grade ..... until I found out that B Grade is the lowest grade! The Grades go Premier, A1, A2 and B. B Grade if for beginner to intermediate players - and that's an absolutely accurate assessment of my playing standard.

Just goes to show you how much of your tennis is played in your head and not on the court.

I've opted to play singles at 6.30pm on Thursday evenings. That means I'll have a day's break between Ace Girls and my lesson with Victor before the social comp. Apparently the comp lasts for between 16-18 weeks so that should give me plenty of opportunities to get my head around playing competitively. And I shouldn't be quite so exhausted at the Roy Emerson week and have better stamina during the Games. Well at least that's the plan, Stan.

And my next goal (thanks, Ev) is to get three games off Rae in stead of two. And to be in the low 95kg range. And to survive me lesson with Victor tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment