The Challenge

This is the journey of a 49 year old fat, really unfit woman who is determined to do her best in the tennis at the Gay Games in Cologne in August 2010.

Can she do it? Follow this blog to find out!





Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day One of Tennis Camp

Forehands, backhands, volleys, a couple of doubles sets and...

I'm stuffed.

Well at least I'm not as stuffed as I was two years ago when I did this.  Basically it's five hours of tennis with one tennis pro to three participants which means you get a lot of attention and you get to run... a lot...

I am pleasantly surprised by the improved level of fitness - truly - I'm just a little bit sore in the legs but not too bad. I do have to confess to having a little sleep after the morning session though. The lovely Judy ran a hot bath for me at the end of the day - bliss.

Judy spent her day doing cryptic crosswords and working on the jigsaw puzzle we brought with us. Dunno which one of us is having the most fun.

Last night we had a welcome to the tennis week dinner and Judy and I sat with an older woman - Marion - who miraculously escaped the holocaust. She was arrested as a 14 year old returning to Berlin from boarding school in England in 1938 - charged with moving money out of Germany. She was required to attend a police station where the officer did two remarkable things - he gave her passport back and told her to get back to England as fast as she could and then said to her mother (who had been arrested on Krystallnacht) "Leave this country - leave now". And they did - to Shanghai where they were safe until the communist revolution and again her family escaped but this time to America.

I wonder what happened to the police officer - did he survive? Did he help others escape?

On a much less serious note:

At dinner tonight there was a three piece combo playing cocktail lounge classics - made me thing of our friend Tricia who thought the words were "On the bus and leaning over" instead of "Blame it on the Bosonova".

Another five hours of tennis tomorrow - and a massage at the end of it. I think I can manage that.

No comments:

Post a Comment