The Challenge

This is the journey of a 49 year old fat, really unfit woman who is determined to do her best in the tennis at the Gay Games in Cologne in August 2010.

Can she do it? Follow this blog to find out!





Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day Three

Well, it's really day two and a half - we only played this morning before heading off to a picnic in the Alps - tough eh!

I am pleasantly surprised that all my training has actually paid off. Despite spending five hours a day on the court, I am surprisingly unstiff.

Roy had me working my guts out yesterday - really getting me to run and make every possible attempt to get that damned yellow ball back. He asked me if it was ok to be pushing me like that - and my bravado said "Bring it on!"

We now have the draw for the first round. My first singles match is on the Monday (2nd August) at 9.30 with doubles at 2.00. Judy has also entered the Games and will play her doubles at 12.30 which is great because it means that I can be her cheer squad for a change.

Roy's promised me a bit of singles time which I'm looking forward to. The tennis pros he has here are simply fabulous. Roy's son Antony is particularly good - he has this wonderful graceful style in his own game and an air of quiet authority on the court. His feedback and corrections are both positive and really useful.

Only a few more days of "camp" and then we're off to Paris to play with our favourite four year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment