The Challenge

This is the journey of a 49 year old fat, really unfit woman who is determined to do her best in the tennis at the Gay Games in Cologne in August 2010.

Can she do it? Follow this blog to find out!





Thursday, July 22, 2010

Horseflies!

I can feel that I am coming to the end of my stamina - feet are sore, legs a bit heavy, and these bloody huge horseflies (which bite!) have decided apparently that I make an excellent breakfast, lunch, dinner and in-between-meal snack.

I hit one fly so hard as it bit me that I now have a bruise in the shape of my hand on my leg. Not to mention the increasing number of welts from the bites that I am accumulating.

My left knee is starting to hurt a little - partly from all the work but also I think in reaction to the change in weather - we're moving from sunny and hot to humid and hotish. But I've iced it a bit and that seems to be doing the trick.

Roy's been giving me some really good feedback on my ground strokes - basically don't over-do it. Economy of motion gives you time to hit the ball. You don't need to whack the thing to win the point!

So simple and yet...

But that's the game of tennis.

We head off to Geneva tomorrow and then to Paris to see Fiona, Jonathan and Rhys (our favourite 4 year old). There are some tennis courts near our apartment in Paris so we'll book those at least twice and Judy and I will have a gentle hit just to stay tuned. I've also organised a court for Cologne for the day after the opening ceremony so that we can have another hit the day before the tournament starts.

You do realise don't you - those few who read my blog - that all of this could be over in one match on the Monday? Still, I will have given it a pretty good shot.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to post a comment. I am watchign avidly. I wish I wose there but I would ahve been a pimple ont he behind of the two couples. give my love to rhys

    kisses

    Moira

    ReplyDelete